I was tagged by two lovely ladies both awesome authors, Violette Dubrinsky and Yvonne Nicolas to share 7 things about my writing process. Here goes:
1. I write every day. If I’m not writing something is seriously wrong. Lol I've got to otherwise the damn voices drive me batty and I'd be on Valium or some equivalent. I'll even get up at 2am and write because suddenly a scene is crystal clear and I MUST GET IT DOWN. Doesn't matter if it's something in the end or middle of the story.
3. My stories can start at the beginning, the middle or the end and what's supposed to happen can come to me at anytime as I write. So I jot the scene down go back to the chapter I'm working on and keep writing until I get to that scene in the story like I'm supposed to. It knows where it's supposed to go I'm just along for the ride.
4. I usually have 2 or 3 documents open at a time I work on. Because I work on more than one story at a time, in different phases, and I might also be editing one or two more. I also write in multiple genres and under 2 names. One because my brain just works that way. I can compartmentalize and my prior profession as a lawyer also trained me to multitask better, so heck 3 or 4 stories going is nothing compared to working 50 cases a week. lol and, Two I firmly believe it's what keeps writers block, at least for me, away. When I get to a point in a story I need to pause or mull things over a bit or when my charrie goes quiet I just go back to one of the other ones. By that point I can see where it needs to go to move the plot/characters forward. The exception like with other authors I’m sure is when I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Then I have tunnel vision it’s almost like a frenzy with me. I have to write THAT story and only that one to get to that ending because the characters will not leave me be until it’s done. Yeah, I’ve pulled all nighters to do it too. Lol And after I’m done I treat myself depending on the time of day to a half glass of Chardonnay or a piece of Godiva dark chocolate. *grins*
5. I have a home office and I write there as well as in my bedroom, on the bed or the sitting area, my husband's office, the family room, the basement. I just need to be comfortable. Depending on the scene I’m working on I’ll have the TV on usually reruns so I don’t get drawn in, I just need the sound of voices in the background, sometimes I write to music. When I wrote the first two books in the Ballerina Series I listened to a lot of Eminem and Koolio. The beats were just right. But my music taste is eclectic and depends on my moods and the story. While writing Dante’s story book 3 in the series I listened to a lot of Tchaikvsky. Dante is not Maze so neither should his music be. Besides, like I said, eclectic.
6. I have a note pad where I jot ideas down but I also use my iPad and iPhone to take notes. I have a list of names that I like whenever I come across a name I find interesting I add it to this list. I also make notes of song titles that speak to me, there is a story behind every song. So far most of the homes I describe in my stories I’ve been in. Sometimes I combine features from two or three of them, but others are described as is. That said while I don’t use people I know as characters I do use aspects of their personalities and combine them with others but they’d never be able to find themselves lol. I have used interesting names of friends as side characters and as a nod to them, always in a fun way so they get a kick out of seeing their names in one of my stories.
7. As busy as I am almost without fail I will be in the middle of something and then get a brilliant idea, at least in my mind lol, for another story. I have to stop what I’m doing jot it down or else it’s gone forever. At some point it makes it to my WIP folder. There aren’t many subjects in any romance genre I don’t have an idea already written down about I can pull from to create a story on the fly. Oh and the other thing I back up everything once a week now. I learned that lesson the hard way. I lost 300 WIP stories and ideas in a computer once so yeah.
Whew! I did it! Now I challenge Stephanie Williams Stacy Deanne Gracie Wilson Taabia Dupree Eryn Black to share 7 things about their writing process. *grins*
Share away ladies!
House of Sensual Romance ™
This is a place of comfort for everyone. I hope you enjoy my stories, and those of my friends. Let me know what you liked about them and what you didn't. You can also visit my website lavernethompson.com for more excerpts of my work. And all work on my blog is copyright protected.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
by Taabia Dupree
*Taabia Dupree, Amazon Best Selling Author of Jessica's Obsession, wants readers to know that WolfsBlood has mature content.* When Kaine Maccon left the Rocky Mountains, he thought he had turned his back on them forever. As fate would have it, his father falls ill, and he must return to claim his rightful place. Blood will spill, and old lovers will reunite, but for how long? Will he be removed as the true heir?
Kaine sat at his desk and read his brother Aohdan's letter over.
Kaine! Da is sick! You have to come back home. Aiden was told to not write. I was away and when I returned Da was down. Brother it hurts me to see him this way. I do not know if he will be in this world for long and it worries me. Rua Rainer has stepped up to help the young ones and my fur bunches to think Aiden or I were because of how he is taking care of the young ones. Kaine come home! No more wasting time away. Ma is gone, and Da has been going downhill for years. He tells you only what he wants you to know. He knows you will not listen to anything else. Brother I am telling you, get your ass home. This time listen to me. Rua will take the lead if Da dies and our family will no longer rule these mountains.
Kaine stopped reading, grabbed his keys off his desk and walked out of the office to his car.
Once inside the car he slammed his fist against the windowpane. He could care less that he’d hit the window so hard it shook.
He yelled, "Da, what are you thinking letting that animal come near our clan?"Kaine pounded the steering wheel. His body was tense, and his blue eyes turned gray. He needed to calm himself he thought.
Taabia Dupree was born in the United States and grew up on the Eastern Seaboard. Her love of books and anything with words came from her parents. As a young person, Taabia read anything she could get her hands on, from cereal boxes, to the Encyclopedia Britannica, to the National Geographic, to the business section of the local newspaper. Yet some of her favorite reads came from writers; L'Amour, Tolstoy, Eddings, Tolkein, Hugo, Wright, Dickens and Hemingway.
In 1999, Taabia started writing erotic fantasy stories for online story groups. She self-published her first erotic story in 2011. Today, Taabia Dupree writes coming of age stories, erotic short stories, mystery & psychological-thrillers, paranormal shapeshifter stories, and poetry.
Taabia enjoys a challenge. Her plans are to write more romance mysteries and shapeshifter books. So, keep watch for her books coming out in 2015, and 2016.