House of Sensual Romance ™

This is a place of comfort for everyone. I hope you enjoy my stories, and those of my friends. Let me know what you liked about them and what you didn't. You can also visit my website lavernethompson.com for more excerpts of my work. And all work on my blog is copyright protected.

Monday, January 20, 2014

A discussion about my writing...at least today.


1) What am I working on?
Well the question should be, what should I be working on? lol I'm supposed to be working on new work today. A sci/fi new adult work called Shadow War . It's about two aliens who were hidden here on earth at an early age they look human, but don't realize they're not. But instead I'm working on the edits for a high fantasy story, Journey Of The Princess Of Ice- The Elementals, which will be re-released, fingers crossed, in Mar. 2014. It's the story of a race of elementals but it focuses on a race of ice elementals. I've got 4 books planned in the series and each will feature different elements and heroes and heroines but the stories will all involve, Ice, the heroine.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
The work I'm currently editing is different because it involves unusual creatures. I've created a world where the elements are alive, represented as a race of beings and magic is normal. Earth, fire, wind, and water will all be represented in this story, but with a twist. For instance, the water element is frozen water so ice, and demons are the fire elements. This is not earth or a contemporary world, but one I created from my imagination. There's no technology, as we know it there. It's primitive by any standard, think middle ages where travel is done on foot, horse or other magical creature, or sometimes for those with the knowledge, via portals. The other thing that differs is even though it's fantasy work it's interracial/multicultural, because each pairing will be with a being of a different race with their own issues, stereotypes and prejudices.

3) Why do I write what I do?
I actually write in multiple genres. I believe it's one reason I don't get writer's block (knock on wood). I write contemporary, fantasy and sci/fi under LaVerne Thompson and romantic suspense and new adult under Ursula Sinclair. Although I will not discount some crossover work. lol I write because I must.

4) How does my writing process work?
For the most part I get an idea sometimes as little as a title and I write. I let the characters voices guide me. So I'm predominantly a pantser. I rarely do outlines and if I do it's rough like the names of the characters, powers, settings and a few main scenes. I've written work where I wrote the prologue and then the end. Then had to go back and write the rest of it. lol I've also started with a scene in the middle. In my Ballerina Series Book 1 started with the ballerina's fall and the rest of the story was built around that one scene. lol


To find out more about the writing process of some of my friends, visit their blogs:


Indigo Sin

Victoria Smith

Yvonne Nicolas

Stephanie Williams